My research focuses on designing and evaluating systems that help people work together towards common goals online. I'm particularly interested in how people shape their working environments to suit their (individual and group) roles & goals: how community norms form, and how participants augment or appropriate technical features of the software in novel ways.
|photo by Ian Finder|
- Morgan, J. T., Bender, E. M., Oxley, M., Zhu, L., Gracheva, V., Zachry, M. Are We There Yet?: The Development of a Corpus Annotated for Social Acts in Multilingual Online Discourse (2012) under final revision for "Beyond semantics: the challenges of annotating pragmatic and discourse phenomena." Dialogue & Discourse (Special Issue)
- Halfaker, A., Geiger, R.S., Morgan, J.T., Riedl, J. The Rise and Decline of an Open Collaboration System: How Wikipedia's reaction to sudden popularity is causing its decline (in press) American Behavioral Scientist.
- Kriplean, T., Freelon, D., Morgan, J. T., Borning, A. and Bennett, L. Facilitating Diverse Political Engagement with the Living Voters Guide. (2012) in JITP: Journal of Information Technology and Politics 9(3)
Archival conference papers
- Morgan, J. T., Stierch, S., Walls, H., Bouterse, S. Tea & Sympathy: Crafting Positive New Editor Experiences on Wikipedia (2013) to appear in CSCW 2013: ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, San Antonio, TX.
- Kriplean, T., Toomim, M., Morgan, J. T., Borning, A. and Ko, A. Is This What You Meant? Supporting Reflective Listening on the Web with Reflect. (2012) CHI 2012: ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, Austin, TX.
- Kriplean, T., Morgan, J. T., Freelon, D., Borning, A. and Bennett, L. Supporting Reflective Public Thought with ConsiderIt. (2012) CSCW 2012: ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Bellevue, WA.
- Morgan, J. T., Mason, R. M., Nahon K. (2012) Negotiating Cultural Values in Social Media: A Case Study from Wikipedia. (2012) to appear in HICSS 45: 45th Hawaiian International Conference on System Sciences, 2012, Hawaii. Minitrack: Social Networking and Communities
- Bender, E.M., Morgan, J. T., Oxley, M., Zachry, M., Hutchinson, B., Marin, A., Ostendorf, M., Zhang, B. (2011) Annotating Social Acts: Authority Claims and Alignment Moves in Wikipedia Talk Pages. LSM 2011: 1st Annual International ACL/HLT Workshop on Language and Social Media, June 19-24, 2011, Portland, Oregon. | paper |
- Freelon, D., Kriplean, T., Morgan, J. T., Bennett, W. L., Borning, A. (2011) Facilitating Encounters with Political Difference: Engaging Voters with the Living Voters Guide. JITP 2011: The Future of Computational Social Science, May 16-17, 2011.
- Morgan, J. T., Mason R. M., Nahon K. (2011) Lifting the Veil: The Expression of Values in Online Communities. ACM iConference 2011: Seattle, Washington. | paper | slides
- Marin, A., Ostendorf, M., Zhang, B., Morgan, J. T., Oxley, M., Zachry, M., Bender, E. M. (2010) Detecting Authority Bids in Online Discussions. SLT 2010: IEEE Workshop on Spoken Language Technology, December 12-15, 2010, Berkeley, California.
- Morgan, J. T. & Zachry, M. (2010) Negotiating with Angry Mastodons: The Wikipedia Policy Environment as Genre Ecology. GROUP 2010: ACM Conference on Supporting Group Work, November 7th-10th, 2010, Sanibel Island, Florida. | note | slides | video. |
- Morgan, J. T., Mason, R.M., Nahon, K., Hemlsey, J. (2011) VBAA: A Method for Surfacing Values in Distributed Online Collaboration. (2012) accepted to Workshop on Values in Human-Centered Computing at CHI 2012: ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, Austin, TX. | paper |
- Kriplean, T., Morgan, J. T., Freelon, D., Borning, A., Bennett, L. (2011) ConsiderIt: Improving Structured Public Deliberation. CHI 2011: ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. | extended abstract |
- Kriplean, T., Toomim, M., Morgan, J. T., Borning, A. and Ko, A. J. Supporting Active Listening and Grounding on the Web through Restatement. CSCW 2011: ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2011. Horizons | abstract |
- Divine, D., Morgan, J. T., Ourada, J. & Zachry, M. Designing QBox: A Tool for Sorting Things Out in Digital Spaces. GROUP 2010: Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Supporting Group Work, November 7th-10th, 2010, Sanibel Island, Florida.
- Oxley, M., Morgan, J. T., Hutchinson, B., Bender, E. & Zachry, M. (2010). “What I Know Is…” Establishing Credibility on Wikipedia Talk Pages. WIKISYM 2010: Proceedings of the ACM international symposium on Wikis and Open Collaboration, July 07-09, Gdańsk, Poland. |abstract |
- Morgan, J. T., Kriz, S. (2010). Robot Rescue! An Engineering Outreach Activity. HRI 2010: Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction, March 2-5 2010, Osaka, Japan
- Morgan, J. T., Derthick, K., Ferro, T., Kriplean, T., Searle, E., & Zachry, M. (2009). Formalization and Community Investment in Wikipedia’s Regulating Texts: The Role of Essays. SIGDOC 2009: Proceedings of the 27th ACM international conference on Design of Communication, October 05-07, 2009, Bloomington, Indiana, USA | abstract |
- Ferro, T., Derthick, K., Morgan, J. T., Searle, E., & Zachry, M. (2009). Understanding how people use publicly available online services for work. SIGDOC 2009: Proceedings of the 27th ACM international conference on Design of Communication, October 05-07, 2009, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
- Searle, E., Derthick, K., Ferro, T., Morgan, J. T., & Zachry, M. (2009). Using User-Centered Design to Discover Motivation and Priorities in an Established Online Community. SIGDOC 2009: Proceedings of the 27th ACM international conference on Design of Communication, October 05-07, 2009, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Invited presentations and lectures
- Tea & Sympathy: Crafting Positive New User Experiences on Wikipedia Microsoft World Usability Day, November 8 2012, Redmond, WA USA.
- From theories to metaphors: Networks and Ecologies. Guest lecture, HCDE 501: Theoretical Foundations. May 25th, 2011, Seattle, WA, USA
- Sorting Things Out in Social Media: Adapting Content Anlaysis for Industry UX Research. Doctorial Consortium: NSF Social-Computational Systems (SoCS) Program Workshop June 9th, 2011, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- (with Meghan Oxley) Authority Claims as Identity Markers in Wikipedia Discussion Pages. GURT 2011: Discourse 2.0, Languages and New Media. Georgetown Roundtable on Languages and Linguistics, March 10th-13th, 2011, Georgetown University, Washington D.C., USA.
- It's Not for Us, It's for Them: A Case Study of Wikipedia Values in Practice. IR.11: Association of Internet Research (AOIR) Conference, October 21-23, 2010, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Introducing Reflect: A Tool for Discussion Summarization and Active Listening. Wikimania 2010, July 9-11 2010, Gdansk, Poland.
- It's Not for Us, It's for Them: Values and Power in Wikipedia Talk Page Debates. Information, Communication and Power: A Graduate Workshop with Manuel Castells. April 9, 2010, Seattle, WA, USA
- Negotiating with Angry Mastodons: Investigating the Wikipedia Policy Environment. HCDE 521 Lecture Series: Current Issues in Human Centered Design & Engineering, December 03, 2009, Seattle, Washington, USA
Teaching and Curriculum Development
- HCDE419: Concepts in Human-Computer Interaction. Winter 2012. (Instructor of record) | course description | syllabus |
Awards and Fellowships
University of Washington, College of Engineering
- 2011 Graduate School Fund for Excellence and Innovation (GSFEI) Travel Award
- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 HCDE Graduate Student Travel Awards
- 2009 HCDE Summer Doctoral Research Fellowship
- 2008 UW CoE Clairmont L. Egtvedt Fellowship
- 2011 Summer Research Fellowship
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Ph.D. in Human Centered Design & Engineering (Expected 2013)
- M.S. in Human Centered Design & Engineering (2010)
- Emphasis: Human-Computer Interaction
- Graduate Certificate in User-Centered Design (2009)
St. John's College, Santa Fe, NM
- B.A. in Liberal Arts (2005)
- Emphasis: Philosophy, Languages
- Thesis: An Excess of Equality: Democratic and Aristocratic Mores and the Crisis of Modern Democracy in Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America
- ACM 2012 Conference of the Special Interest Group on the Design of Communication (SIGDOC 2012) (Webmaster, Workshops Chair)
- Association of Internet Research Conference 2011 (IR.12) (Local arrangements committee)
- ACM 2013 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2013)
- ACM 2012 Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW 2012)
- Journal of Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (JCSCW)
- IEEE Hawaii International Conference on System Science 2012 (HICSS 45)
- ACM 2012 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2012)
- ACM 2011 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2011)
- ACM 2010 Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP 2010)
- Online Text Analysis Tools for Internet Research: A Workshop with Stuart Shulman (2012)
- DUB ("Design. Use. Build.") Group, University of Washington (Lecture coordinator, 2010-11)
- Undergraduate Admissions Committee member (Fall 2009 and Spring 2010)